Another Clyde Craft

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your story, it was a fun read.

I'm looking forward to following along, as you fix it up . :thumb:

-Chris

remlinger

Hey Chuck, thats was one first time out. Yes, I'm in Michigan. Does your boat still have the original manufactures plate at the back transome, port side under the transom support? I would be interested in seeing what is stamped on it.

Sounds like you have done a lot of work tot he boat. Did you use the 4oz. cloth with the west system or just the 105 resin and 207 hardener? Unlike your boat since I'm restoring my father in law's I reall don not have the luxery to customize it. But that is Okay. I little piece of history.

I can't wait until next year for the Mt. Clemons Antique boat show in July.

harold

breeblebrax

I believe we bought their special rollers for applying the material. I am not sure if we used 206 or 207. It has been several years. I remember calling them and asking them which we should use and doing what they said...
We had to do it twice. The first time it came out very cloudy and so we had to remove it and do it again. Never were really sure why it came out so bad, but we think it was too cold in the garage at the time when we did it.
Yes, that tag is still there. I will take a look and let you know what it says.

We figured it was basically dead, so we could bring it back to life in any form we
wanted. (This helped with the guilt of not taking back to original.)

On the other side of the coin, I would love to learn how to replace or repair hull pieces. I have this huge (4" x 9") block of Marine Tex dead center of the starboard
hull side of the boat. If I could figure out how to replace that, this boat would really
step up a notch.

breeblebrax

picture.php

Here is the manufacturers plate. Looks like it is a 58, not a 54 as I had
thought.

breeblebrax

Well, we finally got the primary work done. Here is a look at how the prototype windshield looked.
You can also see the bow decking damage that needed to be addressed.
picture.php

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Wowzers!

It looks great!

Even the ducks approve. :D :thumb:

Thanks for sharing. :)

-Chris

breeblebrax

Had a scary moment docking. The throttle linkage broke as be were coming up on
the dock. Had to do a quick fancy dance to avoid hitting the wall. Winds were stiff to add to the fun.

Thanks for you encouraging comments!

Well there you go! No matter how beautiful your boat is, you still have to know how to handle it...and that adds to the fun. Keeps your adrenalin pumping. :surf:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Had a scary moment docking. The throttle linkage broke as be were coming up on
the dock. Had to do a quick fancy dance to avoid hitting the wall. Winds were stiff to add to the fun.

Thanks for you encouraging comments!
I don't know if you've seen them, but there are some really nice retro-style rope bumpers that you can buy. That would be the finishing touch. :thumb:

If you want me to dig up some info on them, let me know. :)

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure these are the people, that are usually at the vintage boat shows that are put on near us.

Don't know a whole lot about them to be honest and never dealt with them.

But this will give you some info about the vintage style bumpers. :)

http://www.fenderloft.com/fenders/

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Many of the classic boat guys in Muskoka have those.

I think you can get some colours too if I'm not mistaken.

I remember everyone had those when I was a kid, before the air filled vinyl ones were all the rage.

It's the old story of..."everything that is old is new again". :D

-Chris

breeblebrax

I found these. They give some perspective of where we started from.
All these patches were old fiberglass patches that had leaked and resulted in additional rot.
We pulled em off, dug out the rot, and replaced them with Marine Tex.
The transom portion was, um...not in good shape.

picture.php