ANODE REMOVAL

jellis57

hi, anyone? need to remove anode and replace with trim tab, to reduce torque steer, the bolt seems to be recessed in the lower unit, looking from above unit, and socket is too large to fit in hole, is there a special tool or am i missing something to get it out?

Fun Times

hi, anyone? need to remove anode and replace with trim tab, to reduce torque steer, the bolt seems to be recessed in the lower unit, looking from above unit, and socket is too large to fit in hole, is there a special tool or am i missing something to get it out?
Hi, What drive do you have?If you have a older style alpha
It should be a 3/8 allen, And some times you will need to use the style with a rounded end at the end, I believe they call it a ball end allen set. if your drive is not a gen 2. If the plug above the hole was missing there could be sediment in the head of the bolt. Use a small screwdriver and an air nozzle to blow the sediment out. If your drive is a gen 2 then you just need a 1/2 socket with extention.

Last edited:

jellis57

the 150 xr6 has the cover there and upon inspection it seems the bolt is recessed into the case, can that be possible?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to check and see if your prop will contact the trim tab once installed.

That's why some run with just the adode alone.

Is there not just a big bolt in the middle of the anode if you look at it from the bottom?

-Chris

Fun Times

the 150 xr6 has the cover there and upon inspection it seems the bolt is recessed into the case, can that be possible?
Yes normaly the bolt sits deep down into the case, And you just unscrew the plate and it will drop down. Here is a link to the style of allens I was thinking about that you MIGHT need to use if the normal allens do not work for you. I normaly use the style you would use a ratchet to unscrew it with, But I could not find it online right to show you, But you will get the idea. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94680 Also it helps to look at it with a flash light down in there.

jellis57

thanks guys, i just got the hole reemed out just a hair, that made a diff in getting the socket onto ther bolt, the trim twb just clears the prop by about a 1/16 of a inch is that enough?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
That seems really close - probably too close.

I believe there are some Merc anodes with a different profile that should give you more clearance then a standard one.

I think Merc's racing division has 'em. :)

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You're welcome. :)

Good luck - let us know how you ultimately make out. :thumb:

-Chris

Fun Times

That seems really close - probably too close.

I believe there are some Merc anodes with a different profile that should give you more clearance then a standard one.

I think Merc's racing division has 'em. :)

-Chris
I agree, The prop could flex and hit it, There is a little play in the prop shaft also, And it could hurt the boats performance in some cases.:eek::). Good find chris.;)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
These days, a lot of people are now going with power steering, or zero feedback steering setups, which basically eliminates the need for a trim tab type anode. :)

-Chris