A challenge for Chris or anyone else with a tin boat.

john lamon

Chris, since we were talking about playing with trim on our aluminum boats the other day I came up with a funny idea;) lets see who can throw the best rooster tail with a tin boat, to be honest I don't even know if it's possible, it's been a while since I played with it, I would like to use it more this year and this would give me an excuse. Weather your game or not I'm going to try and get a pic of a nice long tail with it as soon as the ice goes out.:drool: We are both running 25hp ,Yamaha vs Merc , you game?:devil::poke:

Cheers, John

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Chris, since we were talking about playing with trim on our aluminum boats the other day I came up with a funny idea;) lets see who can throw the best rooster tail with a tin boat, to be honest I don't even know if it's possible, it's been a while since I played with it, I would like to use it more this year and this would give me an excuse. Weather your game or not I'm going to try and get a pic of a nice long tail with it as soon as the ice goes out.:drool: We are both running 25hp ,Yamaha vs Merc , you game?:devil::poke:

Cheers, John
LOL!

Sure I'll try, not sure if I can throw much of one or not, but I'll see what I can do. :)

Gonna be another month or so before the ice is out at the cottage though. :)

-Chris

john lamon

Yeah it will be around may 15th before the ice goes out at my cottage, gotta love are Canadian winters, we didn't have much snow this year for insulation and the ice is over 4 ft thick, I can remember the lake still being frozen on may long weekend 4 or 5 years, last year it went sometime over sat night of the long weekend, sunday was a busy day on the water.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
We have to wait until the road into the cottage clears up. :yell:

There is a hill going in and it doesn't get that much sun during the winter months. So it tends to stay snow covered a bit longer as it's in the shade.

Once the hill clears up a bit, then we can probably get in with the Sierra in 4 wheel drive. :devil:

-Chris

john lamon

So you don't use the cottage in the winter :confused:

We use are's almost as much in the winter as the summer, we even try to spend christmas out there when we can, it helps that the whole family loves spending time out there.

a little history- my grandparents built there in 1955 when my Dad was 3 years old, my Dad and Mom bought their own cottage there in 1981 because they were tired of putting up with grandma, LOL. Grandma has been talking of selling her cabin this year.

I bought my own cottage there in 2000, funny story-I still lived at home with my parents in the city but had my own place at the lake, that's how I met my wife, here parents cottage is next door to mine, they have been there since 1977 and it sure come's in handy having a babysitter right next door,LOL

I have been to alot of places in my life and there is no where I would rather be than at that lake, since my Dad's health has been not so good the last while I've had my hands full cutting grass and doing upkeep at 3 different places but I don't mind, I'd rather be working out there than sitting in the city.

Sorry for the long winded post, just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Our cottage is just a little old cabin - so it's not winterized.

The hope is to one day build something that can be used all year round. :)

My story is very similar to yours in that my Grandparents were the first on our lake and now I have property near where there original cottage is.

They've unfortunately since sold.

-Chris

john lamon

mine is also just a little old cabin, it is insulated and we haul water or melt snow in the winter, nothing fancy, thats forsure but it does the trick. wood stove for heat, it's getting to be a pain in the butt not having running water in the winter now that we have kids but we make do.

Here's some pics from last fall, it's on a creek that connects two lakes that's about 1 km long with cabins on both sides.

Attachments

• 09 pics 092.jpg
    09 pics 092.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 09 pics 090.jpg
    09 pics 090.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 09 pics 085.jpg
    09 pics 085.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 3

john lamon

Those are pretty dark and cold looking, here's a few with some color

Attachments

• home 2007 192.jpg
    home 2007 192.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 09 pics 038.jpg
    09 pics 038.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Your place looks nice. :)

I don't have any of mine that are flattery enough to show! :D

The property is nice though. :thumb:

Here's a few of me taking out the dock a few years ago. :)

john lamon

wow, your lake sure looks nice:thumb: I checked out your other pics aswell, looks like you had a little bit to much water there at one time;)

I wish we had trees like that:)

I don't miss the job of putting in and taking out the dock and boat lift at grandma's place, it is on the lake and my place being on the creek the ice doesn't move around so we leave them in, I take my boat out because I like to work on it over the winter and would rather have it in the garage but lots of people just crank their boat up on the lift, throw a tarp over them and call it good.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Those pics were obviously taken in the fall. We usually take out the docks around Thanksgiving weekend.

I'll try to post a bunch of pics this year on a regular basis. I did that a few years ago and it was kinda fun and nice at the end of the year to look back upon the year in review as it were. :)

Last year I started a thread but between the crappy weather and my cat taking ill, I sorta lost interest.

-Chris