9.9 HP Honda Starts, but won't run

frankhjr

My 4 stroke Honda has been a 1st or 2nd pull motor and I've tried to baby it. But right now, it starts fine, but it stops as soon as I put the choke in.

Have changed gas, sparkplugs, cleaned fuel filter, cleaned carb. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Frank

nathan

fuel pump? You may have had debris get inthe pump and damage it. with the choke in you are limiting the amount of air so the air to fuel ratio is close to where with it out it is getting too much air and not enough fuel.

Last edited:

frankhjr

Honda 9.9HP

fuel pump? You may have had debris get inthe pump and damage it. with the choke in you are limiting the amount of air so the air to fuel ratio is close to where with it out it is getting too much air and not enough fuel.

That could be. I couldn't open it up. It had star head machine screws but they had a little nub in the middle that kept me from using my normal ones. Thank you!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Will it run if you keep pumping the bulb?

Does the bulb stay hard when you pump it?

Perhaps you could have a bad hose. If you can try a different hose, that might rule out that it has a small pinhole leak. Sometimes when they have small leaks that will cause issues like what you've described as well.

-Chris