3 liter mercruser motors

fish4fun

I am looking at buying my first inboard outboard how reliable is a3 liter mercruser verses an 100+ outboard

Sean

Everything is reliable if you maintain it. Some people like outboards, and some I/O. There's pro's and con's to both.

Personally, I like I/O. The engine is based on automotive (car) engines and parts can be easier (and sometimes cheaper) to acquire. The Alpha one stern drive is a well proven unit and services power up to 300 HP with no trouble. Also, I just like my engine under a hatch where I can have some room to muck about.

Outboards, being more compact (and everything fitting inside a case) are sometimes more difficult to work on. Parts are specific and can be pricey (as can anything marine related). Some say outboards are easier to winterize, and smaller ones can even be brought into your basement for the winter :) . Also, should you change boats and want to keep your power unit... no problem! Then you have the 2-stroke, 4-stroke issue to deal with. (Hint: go with a newer 4-stroke)

So, it really comes down to your preference. Those ugly lumps bolted on the back of your boat with cables, hoses and lines running all over, little pieces designed to fit in a crack where you can never get your fingers or have to disassemble half the engine to get to... or a smooth, sleek silhouette of your favorite hull with nothing to spoil the view and an engine room to keep everything out of sight.

Your choice :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Another consideration is winterizing and maintenance. :)

A lot of people around our lake can use their outboards later into the boating season as there are less issues with freezing versus inboards.

In the end as Sean said, they're both good each has it's pros and cons, so you just have to choose which one fits your needs best. :thumb:

-Chris

fish4fun

Thanks Sean I guess when you think of it that way I have put 2 and 3 hundred thousand kilometer on car engines with just regular maintenance and no major breakdowns. I'll probable go to the IO this time around
Art

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Sean I guess when you think of it that way I have put 2 and 3 hundred thousand kilometer on car engines with just regular maintenance and no major breakdowns. I'll probable go to the IO this time around
Art
Let us know what you get! :)

-Chris

Sean

I'm guessing this is a fishing boat?
What are you looking at? Center console? length?

fish4fun

Fish 4 fun

The boat I a'M thinking of is a Campion 552 basically a fish boat with a loo
it is 18.5 ft long deep V weighs about 2400 lb has wash down floors open layout. built like a brick I owned a 17ft one prior with a 115 Yamaha reliable but hard on fuel. basically I liter to the kilometer my Johnson 65hp mounted on a 17ft Grumman goes 2.5 k to the liter so I have a range of 250 ks to a tank the 552 has a 200 liter tank so my range should be close. I often have to travel 50 to 100 klicks to get to good fishing so range is important and of course reliability of the moter is paramount

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of things to keep in mind.

You typically need deeper water to both launch and drive an I/O in.

So if you like to launch in shallow water, or work your way into shallow areas an I/O can be an issue as they typically have a deeper draft.

Also, most of the newer DFI motors like the Merc Optimax's etc. are much better on fuel versus the old carbed outboards.

Just a few more things to consider when shopping. :)

-Chris

Peels

are we talking new? I think Id prefer if my engine was fuel injected, whatever the choice...

I have the 3 liter in mine. I find it works just fine. And its quite easy to work on when I need to. (SO FAR) :)

I think my next boat will be outboard or jet pump drive, though. Ive grown weary of the outdrive on mine. Not that its bad or anything...just a personal feeling. It does what its designed for. Ive experienced maintenance on all of them... and I prefer the outboards.

Maybe I'm just whiny, because its winter, and wont get to play with my boat for another 5 months...after already having a shortened busy summer :/

good luck whatever you choose!

Sean

Chris,

My I/O has power trim.(most do). I have no difficulty launching or running in shallower water. Now, as I understand it most outboards do not have a power trim. I'm sure it's available and probably prolific on newer and larger model outboards however, I'd say that would be the determining factor for shallow water... yep, power trim. :)

The X dimension on speedy boats is commonly raised or, a shorty drive (like an Alpha SS) have been used in the past to reduce hydrodynamic drag on I/O applications. This also helps in the shallows... Part of owning ANY boat is setting it up for your personal use so it will perform the tasks you need. Both OB and I/O can be set up to cover quite a range of conditions.

Peels,

I've never bought in to the jet drives... didn't like them on the sea doo boats although for a water toy sea doo, wave runner or jet ski I think they work okay. About the only place I'd want a jet boat is where the RCMP have those Aluminum jet boats that scoot over all kinds of rivers way up north. Jets are not great for tight maneuvering an everyday family boat may encounter. Just my two cents.

Imho, depending on the application, I/O is best for ease maintenance, parts availability and cost.

Last edited: