1996 Evinrude 150 Overheating!!

HKMike1

I Have a 1996 Evinrude Ocean Pro 150 that I ran for about 5 minutes. Was running fine with good water pressure.....Then Steam started blowing out of the tell tale along with a little water. I just put a new water pump in and new thermostats. The hot horn went off, so I shut it down. I just put a new water pump in and new thermostats. Checked compression, it seems fine @ 80 to 85 lbs. per cylinder according to my chinese gauge. Might be a little low but it has around 800 hours. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!
Mike

Fun Times

I Have a 1996 Evinrude Ocean Pro 150 that I ran for about 5 minutes. Was running fine with good water pressure.....Then Steam started blowing out of the tell tale along with a little water. I just put a new water pump in and new thermostats. The hot horn went off, so I shut it down. I just put a new water pump in and new thermostats. Checked compression, it seems fine @ 80 to 85 lbs. per cylinder according to my chinese gauge. Might be a little low but it has around 800 hours. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!
Mike
Did this happen on the lake or on the garden hose with the muffs on? If at home you could try finding a big tank of some kind and put the lower unit in the tank or maybe a old big trash can cut down to size of some kind and fill it with water to see if you get your water psi back. That would be the safer way to test it. Just an idea is all.;):)

HKMike1

Problem Solved for anyone interested!! It was wrong thermostats. I was told by Evinrude to use the ones for my "E" suffix model number motor. 437090 was what I got. Not sure of the correct number. I took them out and compared them to the old ones and they were a little longer...less then 1/16, also didn't have a notch in the top where the water comes through. Cleaned old ones with small wire wheel, works perfect....finally I'll be on the water

Fun Times

:)
Problem Solved for anyone interested!! It was wrong thermostats. I was told by Evinrude to use the ones for my "E" suffix model number motor. 437090 was what I got. Not sure of the correct number. I took them out and compared them to the old ones and they were a little longer...less then 1/16, also didn't have a notch in the top where the water comes through. Cleaned old ones with small wire wheel, works perfect....finally I'll be on the water
Thank you also for letting us all know what to keep an eye out for next time when we all have a problem like this one.:):cheers: