1946 Clyde Boat

remlinger

Looking for any information on Clyde Boats. My father inlaw has a 1958 Clyde which he purchased new in '58 and would like to have it restored. All I know is that they were manufactured in Detroit, but thats about it. As soon as I can get pictures I'll post them. I'm expecting it to be in rough shape since it has been stored for at least the past 20 years. It has been in a garage for that time, so I guess thats a good start.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. :thumb:

When you get some pics, let me know and I'll create a gallery category for you.

It sounds like it will be a neat project. :)

-Chris

remlinger

Restoration is going to get under way in the next month. Went to get pictures and well it was dark and semi burried by stuff, well the camera phone didn't do justice. So We'll be pulling it out in the next week and traveling 40 mile north to my house for the work to begin. The deck and tops of the gunels need to be replaced, but the hull is in great shape as are all of the the white oak framing.

The boat I found out is actually a 1947 17.8 foot runabout with a 66hp Scott-Atwater out board.

So stay tuned for pics and up dates. My wife Lori and I can't wait to get started, and my father in law is so happy to have his boat back he's like a kid in a candy store.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks remlinger. :)

It would be great to see some pics of your restoration of her!

If you take a bunch, let me know and I'll work something out so that you can upload them to the gallery and then post them here in your thread. :)

-Chris

remlinger

Hey Chris,

pulled the Clyde out of my in laws garage today and brought it home. My wife and I started on the disassembly, cataloging and documenting of parts and pieces and have a lot of pic's. Found the original manufacturers tag and it is really a 1946 17' 8" runabout. Let me know how you want to go about posting pics. If all goes well we'll be rolling it over this week to start on the bottom stripping, preping and getting it ready for some 4oz. fabric and epoxy. Heres some pictures to start.
DSC04170.jpg

DSC04171.jpg

Just came home.

DSC04173.jpg

DSC04114.jpg

Ashcroft style laminated hull.

DSC04227.jpg

Not bad for having it for only 4.5 hours.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome remlinger!

I appreciate you posting those. :thumb:

It should be very nice when complete. Do you plan to get a nice vintage motor for it?

You should be able to upload those pics into the gallery for safe keeping.

Is the actual brand of the boat Clyde? If not let me know. Once I know for sure what the brand is, I'll make sure there's specific category for you to upload the pics to.

Thanks again. :)

-Chris

remlinger

Have a handful of motors to pick from. My father in law has the original merc which is basically parts at this point but he is hoping to put a 66hp Scott Atwater on it that he has and runs. Not certain of it's year but by the style of the housing looks to be fitting for the boat.

The boat was manufactured by Clyde Boat Works. They were located at 8600 Livernios Ave, Detroit 4, Michigan. The hull number is 610 46.

Awesome remlinger!

I appreciate you posting those. :thumb:

It should be very nice when complete. Do you plan to get a nice vintage motor for it?

You should be able to upload those pics into the gallery for safe keeping.

Is the actual brand of the boat Clyde? If not let me know. Once I know for sure what the brand is, I'll make sure there's specific category for you to upload the pics to.

Thanks again. :)

-Chris

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey remlinger,

I've got the Clyde gallery category set up and ready to go for you. :)

-Chris

remlinger

Hey remlinger,

I've got the Clyde gallery category set up and ready to go for you. :)

-Chris
Hey Chris, anyway to change the name of the thread to 1946 Clyde since the hull number is 610-46? Thanks for the gallery I posted a hand full of shots and comments. The build is going well so far but taking our time to do it right.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Chris, anyway to change the name of the thread to 1946 Clyde since the hull number is 610-46? Thanks for the gallery I posted a hand full of shots and comments. The build is going well so far but taking our time to do it right.
Consider it done. :)

Thanks for your contributions to the gallery and the forum.

I appreciate both.

I'm sure your thread will help a lot of people out for years to come. :)

-Chris

remlinger

Progress is being seen. Boat was rolled over yesterday to begin work on the bottom. Looking to have it preped and stained by Memorial day with epoxy being applied during the week. hopefully I'll be applying spar varnish by ext week end and ready to roll back over.
DSC04458.jpg

Matchbook grains in plywood

DSC04432.jpg

just a few clamps on the bow rail

DSC04472.jpg

New bow deck wood cut

DSC04475.jpg

Time to roll her over

DSC04479.jpg

Ready for the bootm to be worked on

remlinger

Getting some where

DSC04508.jpg

Bottom stained and ready for epoxy

DSC04554.jpg

Epoxy, varnish and ready to flip over

DSC04564.jpg

New Deck is on

DSC04566.jpg

Looking like a boat again

DSC04567.jpg

Custom Die-cut Clyde logo reproduction

DSC04568.jpg

Just a few more shots of how she is looking

DSC04569.jpg

Looking to have her out to get wired and new seat cushions by the end of this week.

remlinger

She emergesafter five months of work

It's been five months of work on the old girl but we're 95% complete and ready to send her off for the new interior and electrical system. The new interior will be off white seats with a burgondy stripe. Here are a few updated shots.

DSC04591.jpg

DSC04592.jpg

DSC04597.jpg

DSC04595.jpg

DSC04593.jpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome!

I'm with Sinbad, I love the boat, house and scenery!

Looks like a nice area you're in.

Thanks for sharing - I hope you'll upload some pics to the gallery as well, for safekeeping. :)

-Chris