Winterizing outboards

Don in LA

Glad to be here. I'm new to this forum. Is there any need to winterize an outboard motor? I didn't know if there is water trapped somewhere in the lower unit. I have a '95, 65 HP Suzuki. Our winter low of about 23 degrees is coming up in a couple of days. The boat and motor are not in the water.

Thanks,

Don

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to be here. I'm new to this forum. Is there any need to winterize an outboard motor? I didn't know if there is water trapped somewhere in the lower unit. I have a '95, 65 HP Suzuki. Our winter low of about 23 degrees is coming up in a couple of days. The boat and motor are not in the water.

Thanks,

Don
Welcome aboard Don - nice to have you with us.

There is definitely a winterizing procedure on outboards. Depending on how long you plan to store the motor, the procedure might vary a little.

The main thing I would be concerned about when the temperature dips below freezing, would relate to any remaining water in the motor freezing.

So my main concern would center around changing the lower unit gear case oil. And also, in making sure any remnants of water is out of the cooling system.

For long periods of storage, I would look at fogging and/or using fuel stabilizer so that the remaining fuel doesn't go skunky and gum up your carbs. :)

I also pull the spark plugs and fire a bit of fogging oil into the cylinders as well - but that's me.

It goes without saying there are lots of opinions out there on the best way to do things. :)

-Chris

Fun Times

I would also make sure the outboard is down so that water can not get trapped behind the prop and crack the lower unit housing.:cheers:

Don in LA

Winterizing

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. When my boat and motor are not in the water I usually run it for a couple of minutes every couple of weeks, and I do use fuel stabilizer. Also, I keep a solar battery charger/maintainer hooked up to the battery. It seems to do a good job of keeping the battery topped off. And, in south Louisiana, even in the winter, I could be back in the water at any time.

Thanks again,

Don

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Don,

Basically, if you're not going to use up your fuel within three months or so, I would be tempted to put some stabalizer in it. Otherwise, it might start going a bit skunky or lose it's punch.

If it sits way too long, it will eventually get to a point where your motor won't fire on it. And if it sits in a carb for too long, then it will eventually turn into something basically resembling varnish.

With the gear case oil, the main worry is water getting into the gear case and then freezing and cracking your lower unit casing. By rights, the lower units shouldn't really leak at all, but in reality, they do typically leak a little bit and then over time the seals start to wear and then they begin leaking more and more until you reseal them.

Let us know how you ultimately make out. :)

-Chris

Art

Hey man, I'm in florida, Panama City, almost the same climate as you got there and unless there is a severe freeze, I just go out and run my motor once a month. Being in the south, we don't have to worry so much about hard freezes like our northern brethern:)

Art