Wellcraft hydrolocking issue

FBL

If you have owned a wellcraft you may well be aware of the hydro locking issue on them. After this happened for the 3rd time in 3 months Our mechanic decided to do a lot of research and try to solve the issue. The basic problem is that the engine ( volvo penta ) just sits too low in the boat. the riseres come to the top of the engine compnarment however this isnt high enougth to prevent hydrolocking even when being carefull, especially if you have a few people sitting at the back of the boat. Our mechanic is this weekend installing a potential flapper solution. after a lof of work and reserch. I wil let you all know how sucessfull it is. Also if you have found another way to solve the issue, please let me know.

Zac

Fun Times

What style wellcraft do you have? And what size volvo engine/drive, Do you have. Volvo and merc, Has a set hight limit for the top of the exhaust risers to be over the boats water line, That the boat manufacturer's will normaly try to go by. And I believe the hight should be 13" inches on volvo also, Because that is mercruisers set hight to start with and the higher the better off you are to a point.Well good luck, A flapper system sounds like the only other fix for this one.:sssh:. http://www.boatfix.com/merc/mainmenu.pdf If you play in this link enough you can open up the engine install manual and click on install engine and then scroll down and look up install exhaust to find the way they should be trying to do it while buliding the boat. Good info to learn from in this link.

Last edited: