v14 alumacraft

robi

i own a v14 alumacraft with the three benches. I would like to convert the driver bench into a split bench. Is this possible or is the bench structural? It doesnt seem to be but just want to make sure thanks

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I would guess the bench does to help to reinforce the boat laterally. How much so and whether you could split it without effecting the integrity of the hull, is probably hard to say.

Does Alumacraft offer that model in the other configuration? If so, it would be interesting to see if they reinforce the split model with any other strakes or reinforcements of some kind. :)

-Chris

robi

hi chris yes alumacraft does make the v14 with different configurations. that is where I got the idea. It makes them with the rear splitbench a half bench in the centre and a casting deck up front. I would like to make a deck on my boat as well and the split bench in the rear

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
hi chris yes alumacraft does make the v14 with different configurations. that is where I got the idea. It makes them with the rear splitbench a half bench in the centre and a casting deck up front. I would like to make a deck on my boat as well and the split bench in the rear
Perhaps you could look at the differences if any, between your model and the one with the split bench. Differences as in, more ribs or chines on the bottom, some type of additional lateral support or transom changes etc.

I would think the casting deck would just add strength to the front. I've seen that done by many people on a variety of aluminum fishing boats and it seems to work pretty well. One consideration I would think about, is how much additional weight the deck will add to the front of the boat and how that will effect the overall balance of the boat.

-Chris

robi

Hi Chris Thanks again for the advice and quick response. The difference between my model and the one I saw with the split bench is that it has a floor in it so I wouldnt be able to see what extra supprt there is

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if you can find out via the manufacturer's sales literature?

I would think a floor would give some extra support in itself.

-Chris