Has anyone found a Standard Ideal Setting for the trim tab on large outboards
I have a DT140 on a 14' 6" Fibreglass speed boat Haines Hunter
My boat has the clutch type Tele Morse steering fitted
So its a bit hard to find out if the boat is pulling one way or the other
All help appreciated:surf:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey GG, are you talking about Tabs on the boat, or the little one that many motors have on the lower unit?

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You normally move it in the direction that the boat is pulling.

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi GG,

I'm not familar with that type of steering system. I asked one of our other members and vendors "Wildman", who is also a Liberator and Checkmate dealer if he could help, but he said he's not quite sure what kind of steering system you have either.

To clarify, do you have a zero feedback style system?

-Chris

Gilligans_Ghost

Hi GG,

I'm not familar with that type of steering system. I asked one of our other members and vendors "Wildman", who is also a Liberator and Checkmate dealer if he could help, but he said he's not quite sure what kind of steering system you have either.

To clarify, do you have a zero feedback style system?

-Chris

I guess you could call it a Zero Feedback system
Telemorse brand it is

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well ,my understanding was with that type of steering system, that it didn't really matter as much what you did with the trim tab or even that you have one at all. As an example, on my motor, I just have a flat style one which doesn't have a fin and the plate just basically acts as an anode.

The reason it shouldn't matter with that setup, is that with that type of steering, it should give you zero feedback to the steering wheel and it should also lock in position unless there is movement in the steering wheel.

Where the trim tab is more helpful, is in a setup with conventional steering like dual ride guide, as you can adjust the trim tab to compensate for the torque from the motor, so that when you let go of your steering wheel your boat doesn't tend to veer to the left or right.

I'll bug Wildman again with your question, now that we are more sure of what steering system you have. :)

-Chris

Gilligans_Ghost

Hi Chris,
I dont know where this belongs in the forum but do you have a list of places that part out Outboard motors in the US
Seems to be very little of them left here in OZ
I am after a good pair of 1982 DT140 Suzuki Cylinder heads
If you can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic
Regards
Gilligan

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chris,
I dont know where this belongs in the forum but do you have a list of places that part out Outboard motors in the US
Seems to be very little of them left here in OZ
I am after a good pair of 1982 DT140 Suzuki Cylinder heads
If you can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic
Regards
Gilligan
Hi Gilligan,

I've used these guys a number of times and they've been good to me. They always either had or found what I was looking for. I usually deal with the Canadian wing which is on a seperate website, but I'll link you to their U.S. and International website.

http://www.marineparts.com/

Let me know if you have any luck. :)

-Chris

Gilligans_Ghost

Hi Gilligan,

I've used these guys a number of times and they've been good to me. They always either had or found what I was looking for. I usually deal with the Canadian wing which is on a seperate website, but I'll link you to their U.S. and International website.

http://www.marineparts.com/

Let me know if you have any luck. :)

-Chris
Thanks Mate
I had a look and they want a $250 Min order for overseas
A bit too rich for me

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes what I do when I can't locate something is, I do is a search for something close to what I want and then I look for sellers who have stores. I would look for the ones that seem like they're legit, hopefully in the business for real and also have good feedback ratings. Then try contacting them direct and ask if they have what you're looking for.

I do that all the time on stuff I can't find and it works pretty good. :)

Sometimes if they don't have it, they'll point you to someone who does. :thumb:

-Chris