transmission ratio

captain don

On the Velvet drive or any transmission, if the ratio is say 1.57 to 1 does that mean that the engine turns 1.57 to each 1 at the prop or is it the other way? Would a different ratio be more efficent and thus get better fuel economy? I realize that something would be lost but with todays fuel cost if a person were changing transmissions or repowering would it not be a good idea to look at the most efficient ratio? I don't care about speed or quick response, just slow cruising. Thanks, Captain Don

Fun Times

On the Velvet drive or any transmission, if the ratio is say 1.57 to 1 does that mean that the engine turns 1.57 to each 1 at the prop or is it the other way? Would a different ratio be more efficent and thus get better fuel economy? I realize that something would be lost but with todays fuel cost if a person were changing transmissions or repowering would it not be a good idea to look at the most efficient ratio? I don't care about speed or quick response, just slow cruising. Thanks, Captain Don
Well the most important thing is keeping the engine with in the recommended top rpm range at [WOT] Because if you do not do that, Then you would be more then likely wasting money some place else, And that still could be fuel or replacing a worn out engine sooner if you do not stay with in the recommended rpms the engine needs to run at. And there is also the price of a new or rebuilding of a new gear set that only a selected few marine shops can rebuild that you would need to ship your old one out to. Then with the new gears you would need to go out and try out and then buy some props to get the engine back to the same needed rpm range the engine needs to run at anyway to keep the engine safe. also the boat and engine manufacturer's have been thru all of this in years of testing and I would be willing to bet they have all ready looked into this and tryd different stuff to help out with getting the best of both worlds. also More then likely the money you would need to put in to the changes could be way more then the fuel you will be buying for the short amount of time that you probly use the boat anyways. Just my 0.02 worth anyways good luck with it, And happy boating.:cheers:

Fun Times

Makes perfect sense when you look at all sides. Thanks for the information. Don
No problem. But also I have read your other post and I myself am not sure on all that of what will and not work, I have only really been around lake and performance style boats, Of merc and volvo. Sorry about that. Good luck with it.