swapping 04 Merc for 03 Evinrude

vnm02

I have a pontoon with an 04 Mercury 2 stroke on it. I found a killer deal on an 03 Evinrude 2 stroke with more HP! (still within rated limits) How much work is it gonna be to swap motors or should I say controls? Motor swap itself is not the issue. This is the first O/B I have owned, I have owned many boats but all have been I/O or Jet. Is it worth doing a swap or should I just look for a replacement Merc. ??
Thanks for your help.

Vince

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pontoon with an 04 Mercury 2 stroke on it. I found a killer deal on an 03 Evinrude 2 stroke with more HP! (still within rated limits) How much work is it gonna be to swap motors or should I say controls? Motor swap itself is not the issue. This is the first O/B I have owned, I have owned many boats but all have been I/O or Jet. Is it worth doing a swap or should I just look for a replacement Merc. ??
Thanks for your help.

Vince
It shouldn't be too much work. But yes, you'll have to swap out the controls I would think, as well as look at what you'll have to do with the guages (if anything).

Depending on the models involved, you may have to do some work even if you stick with a Merc as well.

-Chris