outboard dropped in water...suggestions?

redbandit850

I have a question regarding an outboard that was dropped into the water. It is a 2000 Nissan 5hp 4stroke outboard. This weekend while I was taking it off the back of my boat the boat tipped sideways and the motor fell off into about 1 ft of water. The motor landed on sandy bottom with the the pullstart facing up and the back of the engin submerged upto about 6 inches from the pullstart. The motor was in the water for about 15 secconds which was enough time for the water to seap into the engin cover. The motor was not running when it fell in. After letting it dry out for a week and cleaing the spark plugs the motor still will not kick over. Any suggestions would be apprecaited as I am no expert in small outboard repair.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well if water got into it, you should take it in for service right away to prevent corrosion and damage.

For example, if it got into the crankcase you need to get that water out ASAP to prevent rust. What you could try is taking out the spark plugs and turning the motor on it's back, spark plugs facing the ground and then cranking it over to see if water comes out of the spark plugs holes. If it does, it's be submerged enough to cause damage.

If you try this...make sure the spark plugs are removed and that the motor can not start, by pulling the safety teather or injury is quite possible!

The other issue relates to the igntion system, if it's been submerged, it needs to be properly serviced to prevent damage.

Let us know how you make out. :thumb:

-Chris

capt

I capsized my dinghy
i put the motor on its stand then the next day i took it to my mechanic
there was about 0.5 l of water in it

Valkyrider

i seen several motors go down full throttle. Pulled them out of the water and pulled plugs and turned over and removed as much water as possible. Cranked the motors back up and ran until dried out. Have not had any problems. Waiting a few days causes problems.