Omc I/O 4.3 non-use.

Earl's 86 Swirl

I have 4.3 Omc/Gm I/O. It has been sitting for 5 years and the outdrive was rebuilt 3 years previous to that. It was only used a few times, and then it was parked. My question is is there and thing that can go wrong with from sitting? (ie. Dried Gaskets or o-rings, something not outwardly visible). I am not sure what model it is, but maybe these pictures will help.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I can tell you that the parts for those old OMC I/O's outdrives are getting harder and harder to find.

Are you looking for advice on just the outdrive, or on the motor as well?

I would say on the outdrive, at minimum, you would want to change up the gear oil and probably change the impeller. The impeller most likely would be dried out and getting pretty brittle at this point.

-Chris

Earl's 86 Swirl

Thanks Chris,

I'm concerned with the out drive for now. So I'll take your advice, then see what happens. I was told it's a Stringer, do you have any idea how to determine the make and model byway of serial #s or other identifying markings?

dave

it is a stringer, do what chris says and check the impeller and pay close attention to the boot that seals the drive to the boat that it is not dry and cracked as well.

Chris E

it is a stringer, do what chris says and check the impeller and pay close attention to the boot that seals the drive to the boat that it is not dry and cracked as well.

that will sink the boat faster than anything, if i'm not mistaking its an 800 series drive.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
A few years back, I watched a guy almost sink himself at the launch ramp who had a leaking bellow.

He had just launched and he then noticed as he was pulling away from the dock that the boat seemed be taking on water. When he looked, the water was coming in pretty quick. He turned on his bilge and pulled back to the launch ramp not knowing what it was.

I was standing on the other side of the launch dock, beside my boat not saying too much and finally he started to panic and asked me what I thought was wrong and I told him that if he had the plug in, that he most likely had a leaking seal and that he better pull it back out of the water pretty darn quick. At first he didn't seem to believe me and then finally when his boat was getting close to the point of no-return, he then finally brought his trailer back and pulled it out, just in time. And indeed when he had it looked at, the seal and bellow was in pretty sad shape. I think the bellow had a tear in it.

So it's definitely something to keep an eye on and keep in good shape. :thumb:

-Chris

Earl's 86 Swirl

A few years back, I watched a guy almost sink himself at the launch ramp who had a leaking bellow.

He had just launched and he then noticed as he was pulling away from the dock that the boat seemed be taking on water. When he looked, the water was coming in pretty quick. He turned on his bilge and pulled back to the launch ramp not knowing what it was.

I was standing on the other side of the launch dock, beside my boat not saying too much and finally he started to panic and asked me what I thought was wrong and I told him that if he had the plug in, that he most likely had a leaking seal and that he better pull it back out of the water pretty darn quick. At first he didn't seem to believe me and then finally when his boat was getting close to the point of no-return, he then finally brought his trailer back and pulled it out, just in time. And indeed when he had it looked at, the seal and bellow was in pretty sad shape. I think the bellow had a tear in it.

So it's definitely something to keep an eye on and keep in good shape. :thumb:

-Chris

Thanks guys.

Under your advice closely inspected the transom seal, and while at first glance it looked ok, there is a small crack in the rubber. It is not completely through, but definitely I will replace it before I put it on the water. :bigthumb:

Chris E

i worked at a marina where we had a few of those old drives, muskrats loved to chew on the rubber, apparantly it's salty tasting, never tried it myself.