Old PolarKraft cant find model # or any info

hubbytomdaman

Trying to find out the model # of this old 16' PolarKraft Flat Jon.The title says it is a 1971 but the number stamped into the transom is 23872,from what I have read the 72 indicates 1972?Ialso read that HID's were not used until Nov.1972 or at least thats when it was manditory.Been trying to find out the exact year and model,with only a 5 diget number its been real difficult,would like to see some old brochures or anything that can show me a picture so I can positivly ID this boat,want to restore it back to origanal condition.Would sure appriciate any help

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Hubby,

How many digits long is the number stamped into the transom?

I ask, was the HIN's that comply with the rules after the early 70's should be twelve digits long with the last two digits being the year of manufacture.

If your HIN is less than twelve then it's most likely not compliant with the newer format. :)

-Chris

hubbytomdaman

Chris,
Thanks for your response,the number is 23872,no letters,I read some where that initially the manufaturers only had to voulentarly put numbers on boats,so they used there own system,then later it was made mandtory,I'm guessing thats why its difficult to track this number,figured it would be enough to get model and year?,will check out link you gave,thanks a bunch

hubbytomdaman

Chris,
Thanks for the response,the number is only 5 digits (23872)read somewhere that initially most manufactures were slow to put numbers on there boats and then it was basically production numbers/year,then it was made manditory,so I guess thats were the confusion lies,contacted PolarKraft and they said they dont have any info on boats that old,Thanks for the link,Whew pretty rough looking boats

hubbytomdaman

Thanks again Man,I think thats were I read about the intiation og the HID system,been reseaching this for about three weeks,getting burned out,but most keep going until I find what I need,decided to try and find some old brochures if possible or any kind of pictures,thanks for all your help

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You're welcome.

What I would do is keep an eye on eBay and perhaps a vintage brochure will come up for sale.

I checked for you earlier but didn't see any, but new ones are always popping up. :)

-Chris

hubbytomdaman

Wow thats really admirable of you to go all out like that for someone you dont even know,didnt think there were still people out there that actually showed compassion to there fellow man KUDOS thankyou so very much,I was just searching Yahoo when I seen your response,I guess thats my only option from here on outI have also been looking at differnt boat sales,modification sites anything that might have someone with a boat like mine,the closest I have seen so far is a 1973 PolarKraft 1440 MV,that a guy was modifiying,but there where a few differences,he said that the title on his had the wrong date(1980),well at least I know I'm in the right era any ways LOL,thanks again Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You're very welcome.

Keep us posted on how you make out. :)

A few years back, I bought an old aluminum boat, trailer and two old non running OMC's for $400 bucks. I sold the trailer for $100 and then I restored one of the old motors and fixed up the boat. It had a bunch of leaky rivets, and one of the chines on the bottom had broken loose from the rivets, so I all that up and I was good to go.

I've actually got a few old OMC's that I still throw on the old tin boat once in a while just for fun. I've also got an old 60's Merc 9.8 as well that I toss on it too, that's usually the one that I keep on it.

The rest of the time I mostly run my 14' Naden Aluminum that has a Merc 25 on it and then I also have a Checkmate Pulse.

-Chris

hubbytomdaman

Cool,sounds like a nice boat to do some fishing with,you guys up there have alot of great places to dropa line,LOL
I bought this boat off a friend of a friend,who was going through some rough times(as are many these days)he was asking $1000.00 but I talked him down to $600.00,cmae with a 1974 Johnson 25hp,two trolling motors,depth finder,two vest,oars(on set collapsable)a couple running lighs,fuel cell,and trailor,Oh Ya and a 1977 Mercury 40hp,always wanted to see how it was to fish off a boat.Me and my two boys will be enjoying this fishing season from A BOAT this year cant wait,so it really doesn't matter what it is,just wanted to find out for my own knowledge

hubbytomdaman

HID info

You're very welcome.

Keep us posted on how you make out. :)

A few years back, I bought an old aluminum boat, trailer and two old non running OMC's for $400 bucks. I sold the trailer for $100 and then I restored one of the old motors and fixed up the boat. It had a bunch of leaky rivets, and one of the chines on the bottom had broken loose from the rivets, so I all that up and I was good to go.

I've actually got a few old OMC's that I still throw on the old tin boat once in a while just for fun. I've also got an old 60's Merc 9.8 as well that I toss on it too, that's usually the one that I keep on it.

The rest of the time I mostly run my 14' Naden Aluminum that has a Merc 25 on it and then I also have a Checkmate Pulse.

-Chris
hey Chris,found this site,found it really informative in regards to HID's,from the sound of this my 5 digit number might only be decyiphered by the manufacture !!!! PolarKraft already told me they dont have any info on boats that old,so I guess I'm only left to brochures,thought you would like the info,let me know what you think
http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/Feb00/hull_identification.htm