Oil and filter question

204 Escape

Is there a cross reference for oil filters ?? I want a good filter, BUT, it ticks me off to pay $10.00 for a Mercruiser filter, at a dealership. The oil filter # is 35-866340K01 according to the bill from last year. Is there a good cross reference chart somewhere, or should I go to a parts store ?? :brickwall:

Also, the dealership has always put 25W-40 Quick Silver oil in our boat engine. (It's a 2006 5.0 Mercruiser carb unit). I use Valvoline in everything else I own. Valvoline wouldn't hurt a boat engine would it ?? I know this may sound dumb, BUT I can buy Valvoline oil about anywhere.

dave

you can go to your auto parts store and buy a filter for a 5.0liter/305ci chev engine and it will work fine but i would stick with the 25W40 oil, it will be fine to use valvoline if you can get that grade.

Fun Times

Is there a cross reference for oil filters ?? I want a good filter, BUT, it ticks me off to pay $10.00 for a Mercruiser filter, at a dealership. The oil filter # is 35-866340K01 according to the bill from last year. Is there a good cross reference chart somewhere, or should I go to a parts store ?? :brickwall:

Also, the dealership has always put 25W-40 Quick Silver oil in our boat engine. (It's a 2006 5.0 Mercruiser carb unit). I use Valvoline in everything else I own. Valvoline wouldn't hurt a boat engine would it ?? I know this may sound dumb, BUT I can buy Valvoline oil about anywhere.
Valvoline oil is fine to use, And wal-mart is normaly the lowest price to find it at.:eek::sssh: And WIX is a good oil filter to use also. Here is a little hint that I found out about that I believe not to many people know about, But I was talking to a mercruiser warranty phone support teck guy that use to work at GM, And he said when the engines leave the factory it has 30w straight oil in it, And that is what volvo penta runs and their engines do not seem to have many problem do to oil breake down As long as the engine is set up Right from new.:sssh:
boat.gif

Engine Oil Filter Study break down in this link just in case anyone would like to see it. It is kind of long thouh.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Last edited:

Chris E

when i was in the business, we always used generic filters, wix, penzoil, fram etc. never had an issue. we also used sae40 oil, mercury's 25w40 is a blend of straight 25 and straight 40 which works out to a 33 weight.

do not use multi viscosity oil - it will cause problems (frothing primarily).

i'm a big believer in synthetics as the marine enviroment is so harsh and for a few bucks more, i do it.

i only use amsoil 15w40 synthetic in marine engines. their oil is very good, and from what the rep told me years ago, basically it's a straight 40, but because of it's low temp flow characteristics, it was given the 15w40 rating. i have been using it in a 4cyl mercuriser now for 5 years - no issues, that engine works very hard (3800 rpm cruise) and runs like a dream (well, as good as a 4cyl can anyway)

smit401

I would agree with Chris on synthetics and in particular Amsoil. it is good oil and wont break down under the marine conditions. Marine engines, unlike their automobile counterparts never get to coast while running. it is like you are always pulling a load,up a hill. therefore the load and temps are extremely hard on your motor and you need an excellent oil that wont break down.
as far as filters go Chris says he has never seen an issue when using a generic filter.How would you know?A good rule of thumb for filters is if its orange, don't use it. Fram Filters are the biggest pieces of junk on the market. They have an excellent marketing group.(you can find them anywhere) but they are not a good filter.
I like Wix, Napa Gold,and also Amsoil filters.
just my two cents.

Chris E

as far as filters go Chris says he has never seen an issue when using a generic filter.How would you know?

i was in the boat business from 1989 unitl 2005. in that time i never witnessed an oil related engine failure, i saw winterizing failures (water in the block), water failures (hydraulicing mostly due to bad head gaskets), water pump failures causing engine damage (overheat), and one engine failure because the boat owner didn't tighten the filter.

having said that, i live in an area with boating from may until early october, with most boaters only using the boat in july and august. average engine time is between 20 - 40 hours. most boats in this area never get enough usage in 5 years to hit 100 hours, but we changed oil every fall, and most of the time it was as clean coming out as it was going in. with that kind of treatment, how could an oil failure happen? the boats got better treatement than the customers cars did. when was the last time you heard of an car engine failing due to oil - i was talking with someone the other day about that, and we couldn't think of anyone with that issue.

we didn't use fram at the dealerships i worked at, not a huge fan of them my napa dealer told me their filters are made by wix. i use napa filters with amsoil for my boat and the handful i still winterize yearly.