PHILIPHD

Hi,

My name is Phil and I live in Decatur, Alambama. I own a 1986 Chris Craft 350 Catalina which is temporarily out of service with a blown engine. If anyone has any experience doing an engine swap on this boat I would appreciate any tips you can give me.:welcome:

Hey and welcome. you're best bet is to get a service manual and read it. Even if you have someone else do the work you will know what there talking about and be less likly to get taken.my 2c

yolanda

Official EB Photographer!
Welcome aboard Phil! We have a cousin who is attending University in Alabama. How is the weather treating you guys....we have been rained on for a good portion of the summer.

How did you blow the engine...Powering it up too much...It is true about reading the manual....at least when the mechanic tells you what is wrong you will know that it isn't just bunk. Hope you get it working soon.

PHILIPHD

Acutually the weather has been great here in Northern Alabama, we have been getting some amount of rain but not enough to get us out of our drought condition.

As far as getting riped off by a mechanic, I am my own mechanic along with the assistance of mu buddy JR who is a mechanic. In all my years of working on boat engines, car engines and tractor engines have i ever had an engine failure due to the head of a valve breaking off and dropping into the cycliner. It definetly wasn't caused by over reving the engine. I had just started the engines and was letting them warm up. They were idling at about 700rpm and running smooth. The one engine stopped running and I thought it had stalled. I never heard any noise to give me any other clue. When I tried to restart the engine it wouldn't turn over. I went down in the engine room and removed the spark plugs from the engine thinking it might have ingested water, but it hadn't and the engine still wouldn't turn over. When I pulled the plugs I found the one for #2 cyclinder was damaged. I then started tearing the engine down and removed the cyclinder head for that bank of cyclinders and there was the head of the valve imbedded in the top of #2 cyclinder and completely destroying that engine. End of story.

Phil

PapaMaC

That's a real shame, I don't know much about swapping i/o engines but I'm sure if you read into it first you won't have to pull too much hair off your head in the process.

PHILIPHD

Engine Change Out

I wish this was an i/o and not a true inboard. The swapping of i/o's is a piece of cake compared to a center below the floor mounted inboard.:shakehead:

yolanda

Official EB Photographer!
That is a shame...best of luck with the change over and may your boating resume as quickly as possible.

Is your weather like that all year round and if so.....how lucky are you....no snow...no snow....and did I mention....no snow.

PHILIPHD

Yes Yolanda no snow, no major boat winterization, I just have a space heater to keep waterlines from freezing. It does get cold for short periods. I'm originally from the Buffalo, NY area and don't miss the winters at all.

175checkmate

Super Moderator
Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about your engine trouble. I had to do this type of swap when I was in the navy. Not fun. The hardest part was figuring out how to rig the motor out of that hole and get it on the deck.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Phil,

You should take some pics when you do it and post them on the board. :)

It would make a neat little feature, and it also might help someone else down the line that attempts to do the same. :thumb:

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. :thumb:

I would appreciate it as I'm sure many others would long into the future.

Let me know if you any help. :)

-Chris