Motor bogged down after making turn

Okay,...I will try and describe what happened as best I can here. While I was at local reservoir boating,my motor started out running fine. Went down the lake a ways and made a turn to head back to the ramp. After making the turn,the motor bogged down and would NOT get back up to
speed. I posted a similar thread like this one on www.iboats.com and a member responded saying that I may have had a float valve stick. I just
bought gas for the boat and mixed it 50:1 like it is supposed to be. If
the float valve did indeed stick,could that have cause the motor to run lean by not letting fuel/oil through? As I said,the motor bogged down and would not get back up to speed. I tried adjusting the slow speed mixture
a little richer,but to no avail. Now I have concerns that if the motor started running lean all the sudden and I kept running,I feel I may have
done some irrepairable damage to my motor. :(

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Could be a few things I suppose.

It could be carb related...

As in sticking float, or perhaps the gas was sloshing around and you picked up some crap or debris. I would be tempted to see if there is any dirt etc. in the bottom of the tank. You could also check the fuel filter and see if there is anything in the screen.

I'm not sure if that motor would have points, but maybe it's an ignition related problem. Maybe you're losing spark on one cylinder from time to time.

As far as adjusting the jets, if you have a manual, it should give you a rough idea of where the knobs should be. Usually, you turn them all the way in and then back them out a certain number of turns. Once you've done that, typically you would only make very incremental adjustments.

-Chris

The motor is a 1970 model so it does have a breaker point ignition system.
Also,I would suspect that the carb could probably need some work done as this motor is going on 40 years old,...so it is hard telling how long that
has been. Took boat out yesterday afternoon and it ran fine. I noticed that when I slow down the vibration of the motor causes the slow speed
adjustment to move. When I want to speed back up,I have to reach back and turn the slow speed adjustment down all the way to get any speed out of the motor. It sounds more carb related than ignition related.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
On those speed adjustment knobs, they are usually compromised of a few pieces, the needle valve and then the needle valve nut which secures both into the carb. And then there is the knob itself, which typically just screws into the end of the needle valve by way of a small screw.

If you remove the knob, I would think you can then tighten up the needle valve and the needle valve knob and make it all secure. Then you can tighten down the screw which secures the knob to the needle valve. It's not uncommon for the screw in the knob to work itself loose, but normally the needle valve doesn't move very easily unless the nut is also loose. The valve however is what has to move in order to actually change the carb setting.

As far as the points go, they require maintenance on a semi-regular basis. If they are out of adjustment, worn or if the the coil or condensor is on the way out, you might get one or both cylinders running without spark off and on. It's therefore not uncommon to find that the motor will start up and run rough, then heat up a bit and then the other cylinder will kick in. And the reverse can happen as well where the motor runs great cold and then you drop a cylinder when it heats up.

Best advice is to pull the flywheel and have a look at the points, or if in doubt, just overhaul the ignition system and you'll be good to go for another number of years. :)

-Chris

Art

Dunno if you have one onboard or not, but get youself a small hammer or a little wrench. If you think it's a float sticking, tap on the carbs fuel bowl, often this will unstick it or at least you may hear a change of tone in the motor indicating it's stuck but moved a little.

Art