life jacket question

Nemo5150

Recently got a new life jacket from fiancee...not a huge wearer in the first place and this one came with an understrap. (strap between your legs) Is there much harm in cutting that strap off or just not wearing it? It's brilliantly uncomfortable and a huge inconvenience. It's a type I USCG approved jacket and seems to fit fine without. Thanks all!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Recently got a new life jacket from fiancee...not a huge wearer in the first place and this one came with an understrap. (strap between your legs) Is there much harm in cutting that strap off or just not wearing it? It's brilliantly uncomfortable and a huge inconvenience. It's a type I USCG approved jacket and seems to fit fine without. Thanks all!
Welcome aboard Nemo. It sounds like your fiancee bought you a nice jacket!

Those straps are pretty useful if you do any type of performance boating, as they help keep the jacket from sliding up and over your head and then off.

Some come with buckles so that you can use the leg straps optionally.

Lifeline makes some nice ones.

http://www.lifelinejackets.com/pleasure_jackets.cfm

-Chris

john lamon

I have two nice mercury racing life jackets with the straps on them the strap can be annoying but fly out of your boat at 80 mph and you'll be glad you have them, if you are just doing normal boating, I wouldn't be affraid to take them off, like Chris said they are a nice jacket.