Inboard/Outboard Conversion to Outboard

FlipFlopFly

How difficult would it be to convert a 20-24' inboard/outboard to an outboard? Can anyone tell me if they have done it before or seen it done and what would be involved? Thanks for any help you can offer.

dave

i would check and see if the boat you are wanting to convert was avabile as an outboard model first. i would also be concerned with the loss of wieght in the rear and throwing the boats balance and or the ride off. anything can be done if you are handy.

FlipFlopFly

i would check and see if the boat you are wanting to convert was avabile as an outboard model first. i would also be concerned with the loss of wieght in the rear and throwing the boats balance and or the ride off. anything can be done if you are handy.

Dave: Thanks for the reply. Have you ever seen this done? Have you had any personal experience with something of this sort? Thanks for any insight you can give me.

dave

what kind of boat is it? is the transom plate the same thickness over the whole stern or is it like a 4' x 4' section where the sterndrive goes through the hull? like i said anything can be done but what is wrong with the engine/sterndrive that is in the boat already? i bought a boat about 5 years ago with a weak transom and it only took one weekend to pull the motor and drive and chip out the old transmon, fiberglass a new one in and re-install the motor and drive. it cost me about $300.00 for the plywood fiberglass cloth and mat and the resin to do the job.

Chris E

this has been done before, just fill the hole and mount a bracket. you will replace the steering, control cables, battery cables, etc. you will also radically affect the ride and handling characteristics of the hull and the center of balance and center of gravity.

in other words, it may work and it may not. you should be able to use less power from the outboard to run the boat at the same speeds the i/o was doing before. however, the cost of say a 200 optimax is about the same as 2 350 v8's.

why would you be wanting to do this?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
As Chris E said, totally possible to do, but maybe not worth the investment of time, money and effort.

Why not just look for something already ready to go. :)

-Chris