IMP X246

Sean

Okay, has anyone ever heard of IMP marine?

IMP - Iola Molded Plastics out of Iola, KS. They originally made the "Red Fish" brand of fiberglass boats under contract starting in 1959. When Red Fish boats went under (no pun intended) they made their own brand IMP and by 1971, IMP Boats was a division of the American Photocopy Equipment Company. APECO also owned Magnum Marine of Don Aronow (Donzi F, Formula.. etc...) fame.

Anyways, I have found an IMP X246. Basically a Harry Schoell designed, 24.5' offshore boat that shares the hull DNA with the Magnum 27, Magnum 25 and Cigarette 25. And, I can get this project boat for free!

While no boat is ever "free", and most certainly not a project boat, I would be looking at re-allocating resources from another project.

I currently have been collecting parts and doing research for a Donzi 16 project but, now I'm torn....... a 24' offshore boat is what I've always been aiming for. I have not started physical work on the Donzi and what I have invested can be sold off or used on another boat.

Do you think I should sell the Donzi and jump on the IMP?
All opinions appreciated (note*** I might not follow anyone's advice though :) )

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I think it depends on how you ultimately want to use the boats.

The bigger boat would be great for bigger water the smaller boat would be better for storage transportation etc.

Where do you plan to go boating? :)

-Chris

Sean

Hard to say.....

Right now we trailer everywhere. We also plan on trailering to points as far away as Florida and maybe Tahoe over the next few years... but, I can trailer my woodyboat too.

We are also looking at retiring to a home on the lake. A nice plastic boat I could leave in the water would be a good thing.

204 Escape

They use to build the IMP's 10 miles north of my house.

They auctioned off whatever was left of the boat line about a year or so ago.

They were one helluva boat