filled engine with water

sng98

hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help, I had just replaced my engine coupler, connected everything, connected the ears turned on the water, turned the engine over a couple of times then the starter just clicked, i removed the drain plug and there was alot of water in the oil pan, I did not remove the manifolds or risers, my question is , if the flappers in the exhaust are closed could the water have backed up into the engine ? Thanks in advance for any help !

Fun Times

hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help, I had just replaced my engine coupler, connected everything, connected the ears turned on the water, turned the engine over a couple of times then the starter just clicked, i removed the drain plug and there was alot of water in the oil pan, I did not remove the manifolds or risers, my question is , if the flappers in the exhaust are closed could the water have backed up into the engine ? Thanks in advance for any help !
That would be very unusual, But anything is possible.

They would have to be stuck closed though to do that.

Did the engine get winterized correctly? Did the boat sit outside this year?

sng98

Thanks for your response, I had been using the boat, the engine coupler went bad, it sat for about a week and a half while I waited on the parts, there wasn't any water in the engine before I changed the coupler so I must have done something or a freak coincidence, the reason I am wondering about the flappers is I moved them to see if they were free and wonder if I could have closed them or pushed them in the wrong direction