Excessive steam from exhaust

jo

I just ran my 1972 33' Egg Harbor some 400 miles in the past 5 days in a combo of fresh and salt water. It was the first time I have run it for any distance or time. She has 2 350 carburetored engines and I ran her around 1,800 RPMs at 10 MPH for some 8 to 10 hours at a time. Temp on each engine was 140 and would drop to under 100 at slow speeds and as high as 170 when run hard. There appears to be a good flow of water from both the exhaust. She is fresh water cooled with raw water exhaust. It just seems to steam excessively. I have nothing to compare to. Is this normal? I appreciate your comments and input. Jo

My Wellcraft

Excessive Steam Problem

I have had this occur a few times and it has always been when for some reason the fresh water cooling water anti freeze mix was low. You can still whitness plenty of water flow on the raw side until something blows.

dave

are you sure it is steam and not just oil smoke? if the engines have not been in opperation for awhile the oil rings could be sticky or siezed or the valve seals could be dry and cracked. oil smoke from a boat may not always look blue due to the the fact that exhaust goes through the water before you see it and the oil in the exhaust is filtered out before you see it. i would just watch your coolant level and your oil levels for awhile and see what is going through be i would pannic.

My Wellcraft

Pretty sure not oil smoke on mine.Just repowered with 2 new 350s not more than 20 hours on each. although it could be possible considering the rings may not be seated 100% yet. Thanks for the great advice. Any good ideas on how to deal with bad fuel? I picked my Wellcraft up dirt cheap at a local dealer it was a repo and the fuel in both tanks is a little darker yellow than the normal gas it runs great for a few miles then clogs up the filters then its a slow go back to port. Thanks (Mike) My Wellcraft

RNC

Bad gas will not clogg a fuel filter. Only trash in the tank will or the filter is getting filled with water.

Warm water temp and cooler air outside will make the boat steam more or the other way around. If their is no water in the oil, and the engines are running cool don't worry about it. After engines are at full operating temp you should be able to lay your hand on both exhaust manifolds and hold them their. If you feel your hand will be burt by heat you have a problem.

If the rings are not seated in the first half hour they never will seat. If you have a oil smoke problem where you can see it threw water exhaust that engine would have burnt 2 plus quarts of oil in a 8 hour trip.

Drain the tanks as far down as you can put fresh gas in it and carry extra fuel filters.

dave

i had the same problem with a boat i bought eariler this year and had to take the tank out to clean it. i cut two six inch holes in it with a hole saw and cleaned it out with mild acid and then had the holes welded. put a clear plastic filter in the gas line and run the boat awhile if it fills up with some brown guck that looks like wet cardboard then there is varnish in the tank and the only way to get rid of it is to get in the tank and clean it.

My Wellcraft

Bad gas will not clogg a fuel filter. Only trash in the tank will or the filter is getting filled with water.

Warm water temp and cooler air outside will make the boat steam more or the other way around. If their is no water in the oil, and the engines are running cool don't worry about it. After engines are at full operating temp you should be able to lay your hand on both exhaust manifolds and hold them their. If you feel your hand will be burt by heat you have a problem.

If the rings are not seated in the first half hour they never will seat. If you have a oil smoke problem where you can see it threw water exhaust that engine would have burnt 2 plus quarts of oil in a 8 hour trip.

Drain the tanks as far down as you can put fresh gas in it and carry extra fuel filters.
Thanks for the info Dave and RNC I spent some time ( a lot of time ) sucking the old fuel out of the two tanks then sacrificed 10 gallons today by pouring 5 gals. in each tank then drained it agin. As I was hoping it came out as clean and as clear as when I poured it in. I am draining the tanks by using a remote tank type squeeze bulb directly attached to the fuel tanks pick up tubes. I think with my boat on stands with the bow up higher than the stern I was able to get most or all of the crappy gas out. We will see :cheers: !!!!!!!!