Engine Replacement

PHILIPHD

I have a 1986 Chris Craft 350 Catalina. I need to replace the engines (Mercruiser 350 SB Chevy 260hp), Has anyone ever replaced the engines on this boat? Need all the help I can get
:thumb:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Phil,

Are you thinking about going the rebuilding route, or are you thinking buying something like a new crate motor or rebuilt replacement.

-Chris

PHILIPHD

I am thinking of going with a remmanufactured long block, but would consider a complete crate engine if the price is right.

Chris E

do you have any pics of the boat. if the engines are accessible than it shouldn't be to bad, however, i they are midships in a salon it will be a big pain in the rear.

PHILIPHD

Chris,

They will definately be a pain in the rear. They are mounted midship under the galley floor.
Phil

Last edited:

PHILIPHD

I am in the process of removing the starboard engine. We have stripped the engine down to the bear block which weighs about 300lbs. We plan on lifting it out by hand and installing the new engine in the reverse manner.

The port side should be a little easier as we can probably get at it with our cherry picker engine hoist.

benski

I would call around or shop around on the web. You might ask some of the local shipyards in the area for vendor's advice as well. Is there anyway that you can rig some 4X6's over your stbd engine and then come-along it out of the ER? Lifting that 300 lb slippery pig out of the bilge sounds like a chiropractor's son is will be going to college at your expense..just my thoughts.