Engine issues

Bob Clar

My V8 Chevy Block engine-260 HP in my 25 ft Donzi started to hesitate when over 2000 rpm. The water seperater had been replaced May 1, 2009 in anticipation of the 2009 season. Only two months later I replaced it again. I also put in Dry Gas and added 45 gallons of gasoline to the 30 gallons that I had left in the tank. The boat now runs fine. The question that I have is should the water seperater have been filled to the brim as the old one was when I removed it? I have no idea if it should have been full of gasoline or not? In fact I do not even know if it was full of gasoline or water but it was full. What should I have been seeing? Empty or dry?

Bob C

Fun Times

My V8 Chevy Block engine-260 HP in my 25 ft Donzi started to hesitate when over 2000 rpm. The water seperater had been replaced May 1, 2009 in anticipation of the 2009 season. Only two months later I replaced it again. I also put in Dry Gas and added 45 gallons of gasoline to the 30 gallons that I had left in the tank. The boat now runs fine. The question that I have is should the water seperater have been filled to the brim as the old one was when I removed it? I have no idea if it should have been full of gasoline or not? In fact I do not even know if it was full of gasoline or water but it was full. What should I have been seeing? Empty or dry?

Bob C
Well you will always want the fuel filter filled all the way up to the top, That is one way you will know that you are getting fuel from the fuel tank over to the filter and hopefully the pump is still sucking the fuel from the tank to the filter and also still pushing it to the carb it's self. When you pull off the filter you will want to dump the fuel in a clean see thru glass of some kind or dump it in a clean coffee can. And then look at it and see if you see any dirt, water, Smell it to see if it is old, or varnished, Discolored from the almost clear that you would be use to seeing when putting fuel in the lawn mower. if you have any water in the fuel filter then when you dump it in the can, You would see either a clear looking fluid or [bubble] sitting at the bottom of the can if the water is fresh, or it might look like a brownish rusted color if it is old water. And varrish I believe could turn A greenish color with a different smell. Also when reinstalling the filter put some fresh new gas in the filter first so the pump will not need to work as hard to prime it back up.

Fun Times

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I appreciate it.
Bob C
:) No problem glad we could help out, I hope it stays running good for you with no more problems for you. Keep in mind you will want to stay up with the engine services to keep it running good. You should be doing a service every year. And doing the rubber impeller at least every other year at the varry least.;):cheers: