depth finder advice

Peels

SO....Santa Claus was storing some scooters for my kids in the garage over the winter, and one of the scooters fell and knocked off the transom transducer.

I told that guy behind the boat was a bad spot to hide presents. :)

Anyways...I was just going to buy a new transom bracket...but as I was taking off the old one, whoever put it on there, buggered the holes pretty bad. Plus I just dont like it there. Wouldn't mind cleaning up that area....Also Lookin at new ones, Im finding the humminbird ones now have a new style with new plug.... Might need an adapter.. itll be close to what it could cost for a whole new system. I need simple one, no fancy fish finders....

SO I got to thinking, how tough is it to throw MY transom mount sounder inside the hull? The boat I helped a friend with YEARS ago had one in there...but i dont remember the details....

I did some googling, and will continue....but thought id ask here.

any hints on how to do that? thanks gents!

nathan

there is a big difference between a transom mount and a in-hull mount transducer. a transom mounted transducer may not read a correct reading if mounted in hull. also you get better readings with a transom mount. I prefer humminbird. if you have an older transducer the newer ones will not work. there is no adapter that will make it work because they are differences in frequencies between them. you can get a new PiranhaMax 143 for around 70 dollars. hit ebay and you can find pervious models or used ones for a great price.

Peels

yep mine is a Humminbird hdr600. im trying to figure out if I need an adapter, they appear to sell an adapter like that... I think Id like to keep the in dash... its a simple unit, looks good in the dash...

per humminbird website, AND cust support, xnt-9-20 transducer will be a direct replacement. just have my doubts for the same reason you mentioned about old vs new.

I also got an answer from them that I can indeed mount my transducer in the hull. as long as it is in direct contact with it. epoxied down....Done a lot of reading on that as well.

Hope to take some time this weekend, and test it out in the water, if it works, Ill mount it. I took the whole thing out for that purpose. Ill replace it if it doesnt. The wire into it looks worn out....

If it doesnt, Im getting the ducks in a row on what to order. :)

this is MY connector on the transducer. the others Ive seen are much larger, more square.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAEtQ/zcRdWlq8eWs/w935-h701-no/IMG_0425.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAEtc/GnS3s_MuC3s/w935-h701-no/IMG_0427.JPG
thanks Nathan!

Peels

welp, I took the boat out to the no wake lake nearby... It DID work, but it was just enough not reliable to scrap the project.

I found a GREAT place where it was a great and accurate on the overhang of the transom(where the ladder mounts, it juts out)
Worked great...but that area is 6" out of the water on plane....so no go. :)

I was able to fix the mounting tab area to be able to mount. and a new bracket it on its way.

anywhoo...long story short... I GOT TO USE MY BOAT! felt good. Even with all the serious fisshermen looking at me funny. One even overheard talking to another... "they even allowed to have those fast boats out here?" Made no sense because....They just got out of a sweet ranger with a 275 outboard on it. That boat would leave me in the dust LOL