CLEANING MY ALUMINUM

hillbilly.tim85

I have a pattoon boat and cannot get the scaling off the bottom of the pattoons below the water line any sugestions ive tried mutiple cleaners to no avil even used hvac coil cleaner

Have you tried using CLR. Its worked on everything I've tried it on and it can be used on aluminum. Its great for scale and rust etc. :bigthumb:
Or is that one of the cleaners you've already tried.

hillbilly.tim85

YES THANKS THE GUY THAT MADE CANVAS COVER FOR MY BOAT RECCOMMENDED A PRODUCT BY THE NAME OF ALUMABRITE SOLD AT WEST MARINE THAT WORKED WITH A LITTLE SCRUBING SO BEING IN THE HVAC INDUSTRY I USED THE COIL CLEANER THAT WE USE FOR EVAPORATER COILS THAT REALLY WORKS WELL

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
It can be tricky cleaning up the 'Toons.

There are lots of products that will clean off the gunk, but many of them are acidic in nature. And if they're too strong, they can discolour the welds or dull the metal permanently.

-Chris

jporter5333

Hey hillbilly, that's a very interesting solution. I figured coil cleaner might dull/oxidize the aluminum. Which kind did you use?

hillbilly.tim85

use the evaporator coil cleaner mix 1 part cleaner and 3 parts water as directed spray on and use stiff brush for hard spots works really well
p.s. I polished my toon immedity after cleaning them

Last edited:

jporter5333

thanks hillbilly. I was in the back at work today admiring all the pretty bottles of boat cleaner, I mean, coil cleaner.