Boat Fuel Economy Meter

Fun Times

Found this fuel economy meter on a different boating forum! This looks like a fun tool to play around with for those who monitor fuel consumption.
cool.gif

You can select from different engine models as well as single or twin engine setups. The website is nice due to it gives you a ball park number for GPH used if you know what MPH you run at a given RPM.

The rpm gauge moves giving you the GPH numbers.

It's not exact i'm sure, But maybe close enough it would be a good planning tool for those wanting some fuel consumption numbers.

http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/mercury-mercruiser-3.0-181-fuel-consumption-us-...

Peels

nifty....

but sometimes, Id rather not know.... LOL!

I Try to calculate SMILES per gallon.

but really my little boat isnt "bad" 5-6 mpg at a good cruise.

Tablerocker

Pretty cool little deal, but yeah...I try to not even think about fuel consumption in marine motors. But it IS a factor more and more these days, with fuel prices what they are. For years on Table Rock during my annual summer vacation there, one day was set aside for 'the dam run', a trip of about 48 miles each way. When I make this run, I'll have about 1/4 - 1/3 of a tank left when I get to the state park marina, so I'll fill up there and then go play some, maybe head over to Big Cedar. But I'll have to stop and fill up again before I get back to my dock. So it's about 35 gallons up to the dam, and about the same to get back home, so that is about a $300 trip from a fuel cost perspective, these days...not including the original fill to make the trip in the first place. So that run isn't done near as much as it used to be, lol!

Peels

it is interesting...I DO want to know...but when you're having fun...gas cost tends to ruin my mojo LOL thus the "smiles per gallon"

My wife wants to try a river run this summer, from burlington, Iowa, to Ft MAdison.. looks to be about 20-25 miles, by map. Cruise down, and eat at a riverfront restaurant, and head back upriver...I'm pretty excited about it.

so it will be interesting to see how it matches up to that calculator.

using that number, it should be a 40-50 dollar trip...not a huge deal. But it will be a first for me.

Tablerocker

it is interesting...I DO want to know...but when you're having fun...gas cost tends to ruin my mojo LOL thus the "smiles per gallon"

My wife wants to try a river run this summer, from burlington, Iowa, to Ft MAdison.. looks to be about 20-25 miles, by map. Cruise down, and eat at a riverfront restaurant, and head back upriver...I'm pretty excited about it.

so it will be interesting to see how it matches up to that calculator.

using that number, it should be a 40-50 dollar trip...not a huge deal. But it will be a first for me.

In my opinion, trips like these are one of THE best things to do with your boat and family. See new things, try new restaurants...it is just a blast.
Have fun!

Peels

In my opinion, trips like these are one of THE best things to do with your boat and family. See new things, try new restaurants...it is just a blast.
Have fun!

yep! totally agree.

rented Ozarks condo in late July! Can't wait! thats where it started. On a whim last year, rented condo and boat last summer right before school started. Even though the boat we got was kind of a pile, I had the most fun ive had in years...and the 10 mile wide smiles on my kids' faces was glorious...got home, and started selling off all my atv stuff, and shopping for boats...about a month of looking around..and here we are!!!

also, just got our first local lake run in, and it was outstanding!

SO.....took tomorrow off, to go do it again. :bigthumb:

Mississippi is still about 1.5 ft too high to get in the ramps...and another foot higher from where Id REALLY feel good about putting in :( which stinks, because we have the local carnival going on...would be cool to check it out from the water..concerts, fireworks...all that jazz- the kind of memories the kids will keep with them..

So far...this is looking like the best hobby iv'e ventured into yet! Wife already talking about "I wanna go look at a bigger. nicer boat" after seeing alot of them out there...jeez... as if the little voice in my own head wasnt enough...

yay

:D

sorry didnt mean to babble on like that... :offtopic:

Peels

oh man! took last tuesday off as previously mentioned. Coralville Lake, here in Iowa.

had an OUTSTANDING day! turns out there is a little restaurant(bar) on the lake. Wife and kids took me there via the lake for early bday present... Docking the boat and having a cold beer and fresh grilled hamburger in the a.c. after being out in the sun!!! what a day! WE are hooked! wont be long until we have a bigger boat I think :) time to learn now...doing good so far. first couple of trailer dockings were kinda funny...but that was partly due to river current...its a breeze now.

anyways, the reason for posting...

that calculator seems REALLY accurate!!

also helped me figure out the prop size question I had earlier posted. I lose about 7mph, and fuel efficiency relative to rpm with the one on there vs the stocker that is sitting on the shelf. But gain acceleration. I'm putting the stocker back on for a test sunday because: the river is back down!!!! just in time for fireworks show!

have a great weekend, gents!