25 hp yamaha

robi

Ihave a '99 25 hp yamaha, ran great for three days then got some contaminated fuel (water in gas) got it home, drained the fuel tank , all the lines and drained the carb and refuelled with some good gas but it wont fire up again. Any suggestions as to what else I should do? it's a '99 25 hp yamaha 4 stroke manual start

Last edited:

Fun Times

Ihave a '99 25 hp yamaha, ran great for three days then got some contaminated fuel (water in gas) got it home, drained the fuel tank , all the lines and drained the carb and refuelled with some good gas but it wont fire up again. Any suggestions as to what else I should do? it's a '99 25 hp yamaha 4 stroke manual start
Do you know if it has a fuel filter any where? and do you know if it has any spark while trying to start it.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I would think if you get the bad gas flushed out you should be good to go.

Unless there was more than just some water in your tank and you've now got a plugged up filter as BT suggested.

I would go back to the basics and check for Air/Fuel/Spark and make sure you've got all three. :)

-Chris

robi

hi yes it has a fuel filter which I also drained, I disconnected the line from the carb and pumped almost a third of a litre of gas thru then reconnected and drained the carb again and also put in new sparkplugs but still wont start

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes when I run into something like this, I try spraying fuel or something like starter fluid directly into the carb. I've used fogging oil that I've had laying around a few times.

If that fails, as I mentioned, I would check to see if you actually have spark.

Just make sure you do so using proper precautions so you don't damage your ignition system, or worse yourself.

-Chris

robi

Hi Chris I am going to get some carb cleaner and a water fuel separator and some stabilizer and borrow a tester to see if I have spark and if all that fails then its to the mechanic I guess

Art

Your jets in your carb are clogged. I say this with a certainty as I just had to shell out $100 to get mine cleaned after bad gas got in them. The mechanic told me that these smaller 4 strokes, mines a tohatsu, have really small jets in them and that this is the common result of bad gas run through them. The guy said he loves the buissness that doing all these carb cleanings brings in. I wanted to hit him:)

Art