1972 Steury v518

roy

I have just aquired a 1972 Steury v518. I am wanting to restore it to as close to original as possible as I can. The problem is is that I can not find anything about the boat anywhere. I was wondering if anyone here would happen to have anything on it. Thank you in advance. Roy

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Roy,

Thanks for joining up and welcome aboard.

I did come across a Steury brochure some time ago that I posted in the galllery. I'm not sure if you found that already or not.

I think Steury went out of business back in the '80's from what I remember.

-Chris

Reactions: roy
This is all I could find for you. Nothing came up in BoatTrader or CL in regards to images.

1972 V-518

This inboard/outboard runabout is 18.17 feet long and weighs 2060 (pounds dry). This weight does not account for passengers, fuel, or gear. The beam of this craft is 88 inches.

Your fiberglass hulled boat can be kept in better condition by covering it properly when not in use. This will help to prolong its use and resale value. Proper maintenance and care (and winterization if needed) will also help maintain the usability and value of the craft. As engine life also effects the value of a boat, we have included engine information as well.

Information on this page is provided to you as a free service of iboats.com. Because this information has come from many sources we can not guarantee its accuracy. Even if this information is the same as the original factory specs, boats are sometimes modified. Thus, for safety and other reasons, it is a good idea to verify information here to make sure it matches up with your boat. For additional information, we recommend the iboats forums and a boating safety course. Engine Information:This boat may have come with the following or other engines:

(In the interest of safety, never exceed the manufacturer's maximum horsepower rating for your boat.)
120 hp
165 hp
225 hp

roy

Chris Thanks for the welcome. I found your brochure earlier. the modles in it were for earier years than I have. But it was very helpful.

Bigredinohio thanks for the research that you have done. I found that also on iboats.com.

The boat that I have is in very good shape. The motor runs good as far as I know, It only has 435 hours on it. I got it from a friend on trade for some rail buggy and Volks Wagon stuff. My boat was used as a Game Wardens boat here on Cave Run lake when it was new. I know where the mate to it is but I just can not get ahold of the guy that has it. It has a Mercruiser 160 powering it. with an in line V6 Chevy engine. Mainly the seats have been replaced with walmart plastic boat seats and I was wanting to put something close to the original back in it. Also the temp guage shows it is overheating but the previous owner said that he already checked everything out on it and replaced the thermostat and impeller everything else was in good shape. He says it may just be the sending unit or the guage going bad. It only shows overheating for just a sec while out on the water the guage swings up real quick then right back down. Would love to know what the compression is supposed to be. Well guys I gotta go. I appreciate the help.

If you get a chance, you should post some pictures so we can take a look at it. If I come across a picture or additional info on that model boat, I'll be sure and reference the link here.

roy

PICT0442.jpg

Dale

That's a beautiful boat Roy. We can't see up close, but it appears to be in really good shape. Outwardly anyway. There's just something about early model boats.

We were out on the lake yesterday and ran across a elderly gentleman fishing off of a 1961 Glasspar. I wasn't smart enough to take a quick pic of course. Before I came along the wife used to own a 1959 Glasspar. She's wishing she still had it.

Good luck with the restore. Would love to see pictures of the finished product after all the blood, sweat and tears.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you found the brochure in the gallery. :)

I picked that up off eBay some time ago with some other brochures.

I couldn't find much on Steury. What I did find searching was that they operated from 58-79, got sold around 79 and then went out of business shortly after being taken over.

Can't vouch as to the validity of that, but that was what I found.

If you find out more, let us know and perhaps we can compile a bit of a history on Steury. :)

-Chris

roy

thanks for the compliments guys. I appreciate it. it will take a little work but I will get it done. LOL

roy

Well I tried to start the engine on thursday morning and did not have any luck. The previous owner said that he had some problems getting it started when it was cold and that he thought the choke was not working. I took a quick look at it and I discovered that the fuel line had a hole in it, so i just left it alone. I went out early this morning and got some new fuel line and put it on and then redone some old wireing that looked pretty ratty on the boat. "you know it looked like a big fire hazard" LOL. I hooked the battery charger up to the battery for a couple hours and took a nap. When I went back to the boat and installed the battery, I got out the fire extinguisher just in case. LOL. To my surprise when I hit the key switch the engine fired right up. OMG the thing actually runs with no pings knocking or anything!!! And I did not need the fire extinguisher after all. this engine sounds great. It sounds just like my first car which was a 1976 Chevy Nova with the exact same engine. Yoe just can not beat a Chevy straight 6 250. Guess what? There in no problem with the choke it turned out to be the carb. was loosing its prime due to the bad fuel line. Any way by the time I was done I had to leave to go to a fish fry that the local fire dept was putting on. If all goes well I am going to take it out on the lake tomarrow to see how it does on the water. I want to run it just one time befor I winterize the engine and start on the minor hull work. I will get on tomarrow and let you all know how it did.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear it sounds like things are getting sorted out.

If you like, you can also load up some of your pics into the gallery, just choose the Steury gallery category when you upload them. :)

-Chris

roy

finally

I finally got to take the boat out last weekend It ran really good for a while then it got hot. We got back to the boat dock and it shut down and would not start back. I had to paddle it arount the conrer to the ramp to get it loaded up.LOL When I got it home I found the problem I think. The thermostat was broke and was stuck half the way open and cocked to one side blocking the water flow. I also found that a piece of one of the intake water hoses had split on the inside if the hose and was also blocking the water flow. I fixed those problems and the started the engine back up while it was in a big 55 gallon barrel full of water with the water still running. It ran for an hour and never once tried to get hot. I am going to try to take it out again to see how it does. Here is a link to the video of my brother driving the boat on Cave Run Lake.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvNsQN5_o9k

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome video!

Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

I embedded it in your post for you - it looked to be a glorious day. :)

One thing I would also check out if you can, is what kind of shape your impeller is in - not sure if you already have already done so.

Impellars in poor shape, have to be most common cause of true overheat conditions.

-Chris

roy

Awesome video!

Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

I embedded it in your post for you - it looked to be a glorious day. :)

One thing I would also check out if you can, is what kind of shape your impeller is in - not sure if you already have already done so.

Impellars in poor shape, have to be most common cause of true overheat conditions.

-Chris

Thanks for enmbedding it for me Chris. The guy I got it off of said he changed the water pump. I am new to this type of boat motor. Does it also have an impeller in the out drive unit?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for enmbedding it for me Chris. The guy I got it off of said he changed the water pump. I am new to this type of boat motor. Does it also have an impeller in the out drive unit?
Hi Roy,

Re the video: You're welcome. :)

What kind of outdrive do you have?

Generally speaking, there is a waterpump in the lower unit of the outdrive. The waterpump essentially refers to all the components of the unit, the impellar is a component of the waterpump.

If you haven't seen a impellar, it typically looks like a little rubber circle, with flat rubber straight blades running off of it. When your motor is running, it spins the impellar which is the main part that drives water up into the cooling system. It is therefore a vital component.

What happens over time, is that the rubber blades wear out, or get brittle from time, or sometimes get burnt up if for instance someone starts the motor and runs it dry out of water.

Typically you want to service your water pump on a regular basis and usually what you do is purchase a water pump kit, which not only includes the impellar, but also some of the related parts like seals etc.

Here's a YouTube video that might help - there are more as well.

roy

Impeller

Chris
I haven't checked the impeller in the out drive. It is a Mercruiser 165. I have changed them out on outboard motors before. No Biggie. I just did not know if the I/O motors had them sense the engine itself had a water pump like a car. I wish I had the repair manual to this. It would make things a little bit easier, thats for shure. Thanks for posting the video.

Last edited: