1972 century coronado

nathan

Hi Everyone below is my pride and joy my 72 century coronado. I have do A ton of work on it. electrical system, water system, and the stuffing boxes redone. I am now just waiting on an alternator that I plan to get when my checkmate sells. I had this boat for sale but since it looks like my checkmate is sold I am getting to keep this one. In the end I would have perferd to keep the coroando because I love the look of it.

100_3493.jpg

Here is a link to all my pictures plus the work http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee54/nbracing42/1972 century coroando/

thank you for looking!!

nathan

Thank you chris :eek:

I love my boat and when we found out that we were moving I had to down size to one boat. I gave my 83 chaparral 235 XLC to my dad. so I was down to my checkmate and the coronado :brickwall: in the end I have someone that is going to buy the checkmate and as much as I hate to see it go :( I love this boat and have a lot more time and money invested in it :cheers: also there are fewer boats like this one. All I have to do is get an alternator and ever vital system in the boat is been redo :drool:. I can't wait until it is ready for the water. I am going to get the alternator after selling the checkmate this month :bounce::bounce:. And then its time to :surf:

nathan

Yesterday was a good day! I finally was able to find a good price on an alternator for Old timer. I have been watching ebay for one and one came up for bid that is brand new that a guy got for his project but didn't use it. it is a direct replacement for the on I had and even looks like the original. I got it for $100 with shipping. now I just need to get it up to the house after I meet the guy to sell the checkmate! I can't wait.

nathan

well I woke up this morning looked outside and saw nothing but clouds. looked at the weather radar that showed alot of rain heading our way. I decided to take a road trip! I loaded up my daughters (momma stayed home to have a kid free day) and we headed to leander. I decide to go get old timer this weekend so that I will not have to mess with her during my bothers wedding stuff next week. I am so happy to say that after an 80 mile trip running most 70 mph the whole way the trip was a success and old timer's old trailer made the trip with flying colors. when we got to the house I went around and checked all the hub and tires. they were not hot at all. it impressed me, I figured I would have at least someting go wrong. this is the first trip it has made in probably 11 years and I have not had time to do anything to the bearings yet. awesome but no rain. so now its time to put the alternator on and get her on the water. and the guy should be here next saturday to pick up the checkmate and pay me.
here she is at her new home in hewitt
SU1HLTIwMTEwODEzLTAwMDI1LmpwZw.jpg

nathan

Old timer is about ready for the a lake test. I got the alternator in this weekend and finished the raw water system and I hooked up the original throttle that is a knob on the dash. I am trying to figured out weither I want to put my holley back on or leave the orginal carter that is on it now. hopefully I have a chance but i am going to run it in the driveway first.

JT Patroni

Nathan,

Sweet ride you have there. They just don't build them like that anymore.
Good luck with the repairs. You still have a lot of water time down there, so get it done and enjoy.

nathan

usually we can boat for about 10 months out of the year. and with this boat it makes it easier with the top. I can sit up front and be warm even if it is cold. luckly waco lake that i will be boating on now is only 7 feet below normal and they raised the lake by 15 feet a few years ago.

nathan

well I got outside today to see if I could stop the tires on old timer from leaking. I found out last weekend that leak was coming from the valve stem, so I decide to replace all four. I also decided that if I was taking all the tires off ane breaking the bead to change the stems I should go ahead and paint them. after all the were ugly and need to be paint. If they hold air like they should I can save the money on new rims or tires.
first off I had to break the beads and I have a bead breaker from when we raced. the only problem was that it is design to be used on 15" rims not 13". no problem I took the bar off that hooked on the other side of the rime and used a strap that would go from a lug hole around the tire so it would hold the breaker in place as I pushed the bead down.

100_3720.jpg

then I cut a hole in two pieces of cardboard and put a full piece under the rims so I didn't get any paint on the ground or tires.

100_3718.jpg

100_3719.jpg

here they are all painted, the circles are the lug nuts.
100_3721.jpg

and back on old timer what a difference

right
100_3723.jpg

left
100_3724.jpg

tomorrow I am gooding to hook up the motor flush (plunger with water hose attachment) and make sure the water connections are dry. may even start her and then I plan to take her out next weekend for the first time in a long time!!

nathan

Well my mom, dad, and younger brother came up and we took out Old timer. I can report that everything I fixed worked. She made it back to the trailer under her own power. The is a huge advancement in her performance. she still needs to be tuned. right now I have the carb way off. I set the floats by sight but I believe it is either just lower or off. either way i will get it fixed.

here is some picture I didn't get any pictures of her on the water because I forgot to get april to get some when we launched and she sayed in the boat when we put OT on the trailer.

Waco-20110903-00038.jpg

IMG-20110903-00035.jpg

IMG-20110903-00034.jpg

IMG-20110903-00033.jpg

my brothers way of using a life jacket so he can float easier and enjoy a drink

Waco-20110903-00037.jpg

april called the life diaper by april! ;D

leaving :(

Waco-20110903-00039.jpg

Waco-20110903-00040.jpg

Waco-20110903-00041.jpg

Waco-20110903-00042.jpg

Waco-20110903-00043.jpg

Waco-20110903-00044.jpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Nice job on the wheels, what a difference a little elbow grease and some paint make. :thumb:

Looks like you guys had a fun time. :)

-Chris

nathan

went back today by myself to tune the carb. I adjusted it but could never get it were I wanted it. but i believe I have it jetted wrong. so since my jets are at my dads I am probably going to rebuild the carter that came on it.

nathan

but I guess that all classics can be this hard headed too. When we got home tonight April noticed an oil spot under Old timer under the plug. I throught it was old oil that was in the bottom of the old timer that had gotten wet from this weekend. but what I found just sucks
SU1HLTIwMTEwOTA2LTAwMDUyLmpwZw.jpg

as you maybe able to see the flywheel is in oil from the rear main seal leaking. so I am done for the year. I will get the motor ready to pull then take her to my parents house to pull the motor using our a-frame. then I will pull the motor apart to see if it needs a full rebuild or just gaskets. so yea here we go again.

nathan

I forgot to update this so here it is

made it to leander

boat under a-frame

it only took me and my brother about 30 to fourty five mintues to get the motor hanging

hanging out of the boat

in the truck ready to go back to waco tomorrow.

nathan

I brought the chysler for Old Timer to the house to start working on it. when I put it on the engine stand it leaned down hard. I was afraid that the stand wouldn't hold it. so I had it on stand with my friends lift holding it up. so tonight I decided to drain the oil. I was not ready for what I got. I expected the oil to come out slowly but it flowed like water. It has a lot of gas in the oil. but the good news it the garage smells better already. it filled up my drain pan that holds about 15 quarts. I plan to tear into it this weekend to see how bad it is or hopefully isn't. it also is not leaning on the stand any more. so here we go again.
grin.gif

nathan

I finally got some good news. I pulled the intake from motor and the tray and the valve trained looked great! not I am going to take the oil pan off and check the crank. I believe that the fuel pump is leaking into the motor. so I will probably need a new one.

nathan

more good news today. I pulled the oil pan and I could see were the oil had gotten between the gaskets and the rear rear boats were loose. turned the the motor over and the rear main is dry. just need to replace the gaskets and it will be good to go. everything inside is clean and good to go.

BosnBill

Now I get it Nathan. Good story. Wheels look great. The whole trailer is looking like new. Good luck next weekend. Hope everything works as planned.