1961 Crackerbox W/1937 Ford Marine Flathead-whats it worth?

digginin4fun

I am trying to estimate a value on an old boat that has been in the family for a long time.Here are the details; 1961 13'7", crackerbox,1937-39 Ford Flathead Marine V-8, cylinders bored and sleeved to 90, 2 stromberg carbs., weiland intake, magnito. If anyone has any info, it would help a lot. Thanks.:thumb:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums, nice to have you here.

Is your boat wood? I'm guessing it is?

I'd love to see some pics, it sounds like a pretty neat rig. :thumb:

You might want to see if you can find a experienced marine appraiser to get a value on your boat. I would think the value would be largely based on desirability and condition given it's age.

I know I visit this wooden boat site quite often. It's more or less based out of Ontario which is located up here near me. On the bottom of the page there are a bunch of links to wood boat sites.

I'm not sure if it will help or not, but I thought I'd throw you a link nevertheless. :)

http://www.portcarlingboats.com/WoodenBoats.htm

-Chris

digginin4fun

Thanks for the input Chris! I have some pictures, just not sure how to post them.We are just trying to find out if it is worth hanging on to and "cherrying it out" or selling. Either way this was a fun boat to learn how to waterski. It was a little spooky sitting behind, when I was a kid!:surf:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I can create a gallery category for you to upload the pics to if you like.

Who is the actual manufacturer of the boat? If you let me know I'll create the appropriate gallery category. :)

-Chris

digginin4fun

Out of all the research I have done, as far as I know this boat was a homemade job. Maybe plans bought from a kit? I have seen modern racing crackerbox boats, and they are like glass compared to ours. Maybe pre-cast? This is fiberglass over wood, and has no extra back flat transom plate. I have decent pictures of the overall boat, but the closeups of the motor didn't turn out good. Thanks for any input you might have!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few fairly well known companies that put out plans for home-made boats.

Glen-L is one.

Here's a link to their site where they have a number of plans you can buy.

http://www.glen-l.com/

I'll create a gallery for home made boats for ya. :)

-Chris

digginin4fun

Thanks for all the help Chris! I will take some better pictures in the next week or so. It might take a while for me to get back at yah here, but i will a.s.a.p.